In case of a Public Health Emergency Call: Oklahoma State Department of Health at (405) 271-0900
THIS IS NOT A WINGS-RUN "Crazy Socks" Run34TH ANNUAL8K Run8K Race Walk2 Mile Fun Run1 Mile Fun Run ...
This is not a Wings sponsored event. For more information, go to http://parksideinc.org “By Y...
Heart & Sole 2015 The Heart and Sole 2015 5K and fur run is not a Wings sponsored run. For mor...
2nd Annual Red Feather Run The Red Feather run is not a Wings run and is not sponsored by Wings. If...
PAC-ING AWAY CANCER RELAY FOR LIFE PAC-MAN 5K RUN/1K WALK This run is not a Wings sponsored run. ...
This run is not a Wings sponsored run, so if you have questions, please contact Amy Field at \n ...
"Crazy Socks" Run
“By Your Side” Run 5K, Fun Run/Roll & Dog Walk events
Heart & Sole 2015
2nd Annual Red Feather Run
PAC-ING AWAY CANCER RELAY FOR LIFE PAC-MAN 5K RUN/1K WALK
24th Annual NSUOCO Dr. Preston Smith Memorial Optometric 5K Classic
Cherokee Nation Health News
From January 1 to January 30, 2015, 102 people from 14 states were reported to have measles*. Most of these cases are part of a large, ongoing multi-state outbreak linked to an amusement park in California.
- Measles is a highly contagious respiratory disease caused by a virus. It spreads through the air through coughing and sneezing.
- Measles starts with a fever, runny nose, cough, red eyes, and sore throat, and is followed by a rash that spreads all over the body.
- About three out of 10 people who get measles will develop one or more complications including pneumonia, ear infections, or diarrhea.
- Complications are more common in adults and young children.
- To date there are no known cases of measles in the state of Oklahoma. The last confirmed case was detected in 1997. However more than 100 people in 14 states have contracted measles linked to an exposure at Disneyland . Enclosed information is shared as a part of our efforts to keep you informed about best public health practice.
Measles information for parents
Measles and the Vaccine (Shot) to Prevent It
The best way to protect against measles is to get the measles-mumps-rubella shot (called the MMR shot). Doctors recommend that all children get the MMR shot.
Why should my child get the MMR shot?
The MMR shot:
- Protects your child from measles, a potentially serious disease (and also protects against mumps and rubella)
- Prevents your child from getting an uncomfortable rash and high fever from measles
- Keeps your child from missing school or childcare (and keeps you from missing work to care for your sick child)
Is the MMR shot safe?
Yes. The MMR shot is very safe, and it is effective at preventing measles (as well as mumps and rubella). Vaccines, like any medicine, can have side effects. But most children who get the MMR shot have no side effects.
Is there a link between the MMR shot and autism?
No. Scientists in the United States and other countries have carefully studied the MMR shot. None has found a link between autism and the MMR shot.
What are the symptoms of measles?
Measles starts with a fever that can get very high. Some of the other symptoms that may occur are:
- Cough, runny nose, and red eyes
- Rash of tiny, red spots that start at the head and spread to the rest of the body
- Ear infection
Is it serious?
Measles can be dangerous, especially for babies and young children. From 2001-2013, 28% of children younger than 5 years old who had measles had to be treated in the hospital.
For some children, measles can lead to:
- Pneumonia (a serious lung infection)
- Lifelong brain damage
- GRAND DAM RUN ~ Langley, OK (March 04, 2015 08:00)
- CC Camp 5K Run (March 28, 2015 08:00)
- Paws for a Cause (March 29, 2015 13:30)
- 8th Annual Preparing for the 7th Generation Conference (April 07, 2015 09:00)
- 8th Annual Preparing for the 7th Generation Conference (April 08, 2015 09:00)
- 8th Annual Preparing for the 7th Generation Conference (April 09, 2015 09:00)
- 7th Annual Will Rogers Memorial Race (April 11, 2015 08:30)
- Bulldog Classic 2015 (April 18, 2015 08:00)
- Wildcat Dash 2015 (April 18, 2015 08:30)
- Tons off Tahlequah 5K - 2015 (April 25, 2015 07:00)